Every one of us know exercising regularly is good for our body, but what about its impact on skin? Do you know what happens to the largest organ in your body when you work out?
There are numerous studies suggesting that an intense workout can disturb skin’s pH levels and affect skin adversely. Skin’s barrier prevents water loss and the penetration of foreign molecules into the body. Our skin’s ability to fight against the foreign molecules heavily relies on the pH value. Many studies have indicated that skin pH values are bound to increase after a workout. The growth of bacteria increases with a high pH, whereas it slows significantly at pH 5.5. Hence, it becomes quintessential to use products that have pH of 5.5.
If you can maintain your skin pH at the desired level, you can reap the following benefits.
1. When the heart beats faster, then a special IL-15 protein is formed. This helps regulate mitochondrial function and slows down the aging process.
2. Exercise suppresses the secretion of stress hormones and increases levels of endorphins which give a positive effect on your mood and appearance.
3. Exercise improves blood circulation that removes toxins and makes your skin healthier. Exercise improves blood flow in the skin that helps flush out toxins that would otherwise accumulate in skin cells.
4. Exercise helps fight inflammation. During exercise, muscles release substances that prevent the body from developing too much cortisol and reduce stress levels. Studies have also found that skin wounds heal faster in those who have an active lifestyle.
5. Workout increases the supply of oxygen and other nutrients to the cells, which provides a ideal environment for collagen production and helps skin become more hydrated and protected.
6. Working out not only helps tone and strengthen body muscles but also the face muscles. Yoga poses relax the body, and as an outcome, feet and expression lines associated with stress and anger are smoothed out. By practicing face yoga at least 3 times a week, one can avoid the formation of new wrinkles and maintain a youthful appearance for a long time.
Below are some pro tips to take care your skin if you have an active lifestyle
• Enough water intake during and after a workout
• Remove your makeup before indulging in any physical activity
• Choose gentle skincare products with a pH of 5.5
• Avoid touching your face frequently
• Always Wear a Sunscreen during the day
• Exfoliate your skin adequately